6/18/12

my first furniture redo!

I recently jumped on the furniture DIY bandwagon.. 
here's our beast of a dresser.. redone!

We recently moved our room upstairs & due to the slanted attic walls, 
we were unable to bring our lovely 1980's dresser with us!

Look at this thing, it was screaming for help!


I knew that I wanted to try to paint it for our daughter's room, 
so.. I went for it!

I searched & read up about furniture refinishing, and found an amazing product that completely eliminates the need for sanding, Zinsser Cover Stain!


It is oil based, and MESSY.. so I used cheap throw away brushes to slather it on. 

I had a ton of white paint leftover from painting the trim of our daughter's room.. 
so that would be color of my 'new' dresser!

After painting, I got to work distressing, which was SO fun!

I just used a low grit sandpaper, and even an emery board to get in the small spots to achieve the worn look I was going for. 

Here's a close up of the distressing, I LOVE how it turned out!




Here's the finished project!

I really like how it turned out, it's perfect for Adalyn's room.. 
and it was her grandparent's, so it's a new keepsake for her!


Here's the before & after.. 

I loved this project & can't wait to start on my next one!


I am linking to these DIY blogs, check them out for tons of inspiration!
DIY Show Off
Home Stories A2Z

No comments:

Post a Comment